Last Saturday we went to Mum and Dad's and collected some lovely rotted down manure from the bottom of the muckheap. We (and when I say 'we' I mean Matt) filled up the second of the boxes that form our raised vegetable bed (see previous post) with a mixture of that and garden centre compost. I'm expecting giant vegetables!
I planted up the second part with a courgette plant (kindly donated by my mother in law) some rows of mangetout, more spinach, salad leaves and some radishes.
We've covered the whole bed with green netting held in place by bricks, to keep out the birds and squirrels which we are plagued by. Unfortunately it hasn't prevented our cats from sitting on the beds (they were very definitely in my bad books for that) so we need to find a more permanent means of fixing the netting at some stage. Other than that, they now just need some warm weather and some time. It's really satisfying to see the things we planted two weeks ago are already poking through.



No comments:
Post a Comment