Monday, 9 September 2013

Hibernating

For the first time in my life, part of me is actually looking forward to autumn; to the darker evenings; that dusty smell of radiators warming up for the first time; rediscovering boots, coats, and hoodies lying forgotten at the back of the wardrobe; cocooning myself under the heavier weight duvet. 
 
From the age of nine, summers meant riding for weeks on end in the hot sun. (Ok so perhaps the last bit wasn't always true it just seems that way looking back. Plus I'm sure summers really were hotter then. Anyway, I digress.) This contrasted with back-to-school time in September and a whole ten months to wait until I got to do it again. No contest!

The beginning of autumn has always been a tough time for me; the endless cold dark winter stealing every ounce of warmth and light as I mourned the longer days. The American season 'fall' a perfect metaphor for my emotions and energy levels. We've generally tried to have holidays in October to have something to look forward to in the stretch to Christmas.  In the past I've even tried vitamin D supplements to give myself a boost through these months. 
 So what's new this year that makes the autumn feel easier to manage?  Is it that it actually feels that we've had a summer for the first time in years?  Without my previous manic life of work, horses, family, friends, I've had time to notice the warmth whilst pottering in the garden, and am ready to move on?   Admittedly it helps that we're soon off to find some late summer sunshine (hopefully), a welcome break, and the funding decision for a possible new treatment is nearer. 

Grotty weather means I'm not constantly reminded of what I'm missing.  With the way my energy levels are, a lot of the time I'm curled up on the sofa with a good book or in front of the telly; my own form of hibernation.  And it's a perfect day for it - I'm off to put the kettle on!

No comments:

Post a Comment