Saturday, 13 December 2014

47 and counting



In January, Matt and I are heading to the Far-East; four nights in Kuala Lumpur, three nights at a luxury tented camp in a national park (with elephants!!!) in southern Thailand, and six nights on the west coast, north of Phuket.  Although we’ve managed our fair share of holidays whilst I’ve been ill, and had some unforgettable experiences (three Michelin-starred restaurants in Florence to name just one) we have restricted ourselves due to my physical limitations.  Whilst I am more mobile than I was, this is still very much a factor, but we are trying to work around them rather than restrict plans because of them.  This mental shift, and probably the longhaul helps, makes it feel like we’ll finally be travellers again.
Whilst a lot of the time, I am very much a home-body (fortunate as I spend so much of my time here), I love curling up with Matt, the dog and the cats (not all together), there is a huge part of me that yearns for new experiences, new places.  Given that I was born abroad, and lived on three continents by the time I was ten, it’s not surprising that I have been utterly gripped by the travel bug which has carried me all over the world.  My identity, more specifically how it’s been changed by my health problems, is something I’ve been exploring recently, and I’ve realised that my love of travel is not an inconsequential part of who I am.  Every university summer, or week off work, was an opportunity to see somewhere new.  In Matt I found someone who shares my love of adventure (or is willing to go along with it at least) and we’ve had some amazing trips backpacking around Thailand and Laos, Argentina, Egypt, road-trips in California, exploring parts of Italy, amongst other amazing holidays in the UK and abroad. 

Back in the summer I started thinking about holiday ideas for this autumn/early next year – I’m never not thinking about plans for the next trip, and I started hatching bigger ideas.  Maybe it was the psychological impact of going through a flare up in my condition and needing something to look forward to, or perhaps just the need for some foreign sun, I’m not sure.  Having tossed the idea around for a while, I mentioned to Matt that I had a yearning for a ‘proper’ holiday, exploring rather than ‘just’ a nice sunny beach somewhere, although that would do nicely thank you very much as I’m looking out on a shivery cold, grey, December morning.  His response?  “You mean something that would make us feel like we’re actually living again?”  In those words, he managed to express what I’d been feeling for months, if not years, but not quite consciously enough to say.  It also hit me how easy it is to forget the extent to which Matt’s life has been turned upside down as well.  It’s his weekends, his leisure time, his holiday plans that have been disrupted too.  This is something I’ve written about a lot in recent posts, but it feels like our life has been on hold for three years and it is time to move forwards with it.  So that was our brief, to come up with a holiday that made us feel alive again, but within the constraints of my physical abilities and energy levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment