Friday, 2 January 2015

The temptations of travelling

As I mentioned in a post several weeks ago, Matt and I are off to Southeast Asia at the end of next week.  Since even before we booked it, I have been going through cycles of panic, maybe not quite panic, but concern that the trip will be manageable for me, that it will take too much out of me.  Over the last two to three months I have built myself a lifestyle framework around which I have slowly, very slowly, started to see some progress.  Most of this is diet related, but there is also exercise, sleep, scheduling and other ways I’ve learnt to adapt to life with my medical conditions in a way that now works for me.  Some of these I can stick to easily while we’re away, dietary supplements which can be packed, but others will be much more difficult or totally impractical.  Not knowing where these small improvements are coming from makes giving up some of these slightly frightening.  What if I leave behind, or stop doing the one ritual that is making all the difference?  Coping with an eight hour time difference and a long haul flight will be difficult enough, and for that I need to be at my best, not struggling already as I didn’t pack my magic green superfood powder.  I’m simplifying things; I know it's most likely that it's the combination of things I'm doing that's finally helping, but it is something that's worrying me.

As for being gluten-free, it’s a total and utter pain in the ass.  It’s difficult enough eating out in this country, but at least for the most part, people understand why you need to know exactly what’s in a particular dish.  I just really don’t know how accustomed people will be to food sensitivities in the places we’re staying, plus there’s a language barrier to get around.  And at home, it’s normally just one meal.  This is two whole weeks where I won’t be in control of what goes into my food.
I’m also desperate for it not to become a pre-occupation and the centre of the holiday.  Food is such a big part of travelling for me, and I want to experience all of it.  I will be heart-broken if I can’t try amazing smelling street food as I have no way of asking if there is soy sauce in it, or other hidden gluten.  I’m there to learn, to experience, to try new things.  My health will be a limitation on this already, and I don’t want my new dietary requirements to add to this. 

There's also the temptation of being away from home.  It's the 'what the hell, we're on holiday' mindset, similar to the Christmas one I'm sure we've all just experienced.  Yes I'll have a glass of wine, or several, at the weekends, or the odd sugary treat, but I know that most days, I don't, and I feel better for it.  Two weeks of bending the rules, and my body won't be thanking me for it, but again, I don't want to spend the whole time, or any time, feeling deprived.  I think this is where the 'everything in moderation' comes in....... sometimes that's much easier said than put into practice, but I know I need to look after myself as well as I can to be able to get the most out of the trip, and maybe that does mean the odd day of drinking water with dinner, or skipping pudding.

If anyone has any tips, I'd love to hear them - leave your comments in the space below.

No comments:

Post a Comment