Monday, 4 March 2013

"We beat the scum 2-1"

Yesterday was my first Spurs game of the season and what a one to go to - home to Arsenal.  Matt had been before Christmas, but he'd sold my ticket to a friend as I hadn't felt up to going.  Nothing was going to stop me this time.

As always during this particular grudge match, there was a great atmosphere, helped by Spurs winning.  The title of this post was one of the more polite songs/chants of the afternoon. 

There were some hairy moments; the man behind me said to his girlfriend after 35 minutes or so "Would you take 0-0 at half time?"  I was thinking, yes definitely!  Shortly afterwards, Bale scored at which point the ground erupted.  I was still recovering from the celebrations when Lennon scored a second not long before half time. 

Arsenal scored five minutes or so into the second half and although they had some other chances, so did Spurs.  Apart from the 'anything can happen' rules that apply to a derby, the result was never particularly in doubt.  It didn't necessarily feel that way in the six minutes of added time though! 

We sat in row 3 of the lower tier of the North stand, at one end of the pitch.  We tend to sit in the upper tier, but I love being further down and closer to the action -  so much so that the ball flew straight at us during the game.  I felt like Wile E Coyote staring at the Acme Anvil as it fell towards him.  Matt actually got a touch on it before it bounced further up into the stands.

The drawback of sitting so low down is that it is very hard to judge perspective when the play is at the opposite end of the pitch.  Its really hard to tell whether the ball is ten yards out or just past the half way line, but I think that seeing them close to makes up for it.  The pace is incredible, particularly of players like Lennon and Assou-Ekotto.

There was a cameraman just in front of us; it was really interesting watching him work.  I take for granted the television images without ever thinking about how they're filmed, put together or edited.  I know the cameras are incredible bits of kit, but had always assumed that there were many more of them than there actually are.  The man in front of us was shooting close ups at the far end of the pitch, rather than relying on other, closer cameras.  For once, I was looking forward to watching MOTD2 to see the footage that 'our cameraman' had taken, but I was so worn out that I barely stayed awake through the opening credits.

No comments:

Post a Comment