Friday, 17 January 2014

Fast day 2 - week 1 progress report

Yesterday was my second fast day and I'm pleased to report that I managed a total of 515 calories for the day, and even better news, I've lost 2 pounds since Monday!  I know weight can fluctuate by that much during a day for no reason at all, but I'm hoping at least some of it is down to my new regime.

I had the same breakfast as on Tuesday, albeit slightly more modest portions of milk and yoghurt:
15g shreddies (approx. 15 actual shreddies), 35ml semi-skimmed milk, 35g greek yoghurt (a cereal spoonful) and a tablespoon of berries.  Total - 128 calories.
I have read several times that the blood sugar surge attributed to carbs is flatter (ie it peaks at a lower level but is sustained over a longer period of time keeping you 'fuller') if you eat them with protein.  Greek yoghurt is apparently higher in protein than normal natural yoghurt so I always buy that if possible, but avoid the low fat variety - I'm distrusting of what they do to it to take the fat out!

Having planned my evening meal a bit better than on Tuesday, I had a spare 100 calories for a snack at 4:00.  A plain ryvita and half a tablespoon of peanut butter (12g).  Total - 107 calories.  Much needed and helped me get through unpacking the shopping delivery and cooking without wilting.

Dinner was a Vietnamese yellow chicken curry from a Fast Diet recipe in the Times (250 calories a portion).  It was authentically southeast Asian, being both hot and slightly sour.  It took 2 hours in the oven on a really low heat, so I could cook at 5 while I still had some energy, and then only had the veg to do later.   I tend to double the quantities of chilli in most recipes, this time I used the same quantity of chilli but left the seeds in - bit of a mistake, it would have been plenty hot enough already!

I think Matt enjoyed it too, albeit with a large helping of Basmati rice, as well as the steamed broccoli and fine green beans that I had too. Apart from the lack of rice, it was the sort of thing I'd normally eat during the week which made it seem easier.

Total for the day - 515 calories

(I'm starting to feel a bit like Bridget Jones, diarising my calories!)

So, how does it feel two days on?  Do I feel any greater a sense of achievement?  Yes to some extent.  I've finally got rid of the majority of my nasty cold so have managed some exercise this week, including riding for 20 mins or so on Wednesday, and a brisk (by my standards) walk for 6 mins to the top of the road and back yesterday.  These honestly feel as satisfying as getting through my two fast days.

Yearning for the evening to come to be able to eat dinner, does make what often already seem like long days at home on my own even lengthier, that seems to be the hardest bit so far.  Yesterday was a bit easier knowing I could have a snack during the afternoon but I was hungry towards bed time which I hadn't been on Tuesday.  Perhaps no carbs at all in the evening isn't the answer, I need to keep experimenting.

Of course I was pleased standing on the scales this morning, but I also realise that this is likely to be my lightest point of the week, and Monday morning after a weekend of 'normal' eating will likely tell a different story, before fasting days next week.  Two pounds lighter and I'm still not happy..... but overall, I'm relatively pleased - say 6 out of 10.  I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment