I've come back from our week in Italy feeling quite inspired and upbeat and I'm desperately trying to avoid sliding into post holiday blues. We had an amazing time, learning some new skills (how to make pasta amongst other Tuscan dishes), meeting some great new friends, and thoroughly overdosed (in a good way) on food, wine and art. You know that feeling by the end of Christmas that if you eat or drink one more thing you'll be ill and your body is shouting "please make it stop"? That's where I was by about day 3. Maybe it was the third helping of our homemade tiramisu and the extra glass of limoncello that did it.....
When we arrived in Florence the next day and there were scales in our bathroom, I instantly went into panic mode. I did manage to exercise some restraint (over that if nothing else) and resisted standing on them at all. I've made a pact not to weight myself until we've been home for two weeks. I know it wouldn't be good news, I can feel it and see it, but am feeling a lot more relaxed about it all than I was before we went away. We didn't gorge ourselves quite so much in Florence, but did indulge in a 3* Michelin restaurant for our last evening - it was (nearly) Valentine's day after all.
Sightseeing by wheelchair took some adjustment for both of us, but with my walking still very restricted by my energy levels, it made an otherwise impossible trip feasible. I was pleased with how much of the city we were able to see in the time we had, and made me think about what more we could do closer to home, museum trips etc, if we made use of the chair.
Those of you on facebook have probably seen a few of our photos already, but I've posted some of my favourites below. I really enjoyed having my camera in my hand again and am very keen to develop this more (no pun intended), maybe even go on a course if I can find something manageable for me. Apologies for the formatting, I always seem to struggle with getting multiple photos laid out properly on here.
 |
| Our home for the first 3 nights |
 |
| Vineyards on the estate |
 |
| Homemade spinach and ricotta ravioli |
 |
| View of Florence from Piazzale Michelangelo |
 |
| Part of the Uffizi Museum |
 |
| Views of the Duomo |
 |
| Piazza Pitti |
 |
| Detail on the Palazzo Vecchio |
 |
| A shop window |
 |
| Cakes at Café Rivoire |
 |
| A jewellery shop on the Ponte Vecchio |
 |
Octopus, pumpkin and coffe
one of 20 courses at Enoteca Pinchiorri |
No comments:
Post a Comment